Sourdough Stuffing with Sausage and Gruyere - Thanksgiving Sides
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, about 1 lb. (500 g), crust removed and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 1 lb. (500 g) pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) turkey or chicken stock
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup (1/4 oz./7 g) chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C). Using the melted butter, grease the bottom and sides of 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until dried but not browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Leave the oven on.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Add the onion, celery and garlic and continue cooking until the vegetables are softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add the stock and whisk until combined.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage mixture to a very large bowl; discard any fat and liquid remaining in the pan. Add the bread cubes and cheese to the bowl and toss to combine. Add the stock mixture to the bowl and toss until the bread cubes are evenly moistened. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the liquid. Stir in the sage and thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to the prepared dish and bake until the stuffing is set and the top is golden brown and lightly crisped, about 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Serves 10 to 12.
Recipe and photos from https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/sourdough-stuffing-with-sausage-and-gruyere.html