Hearty Beef Chili
Recipe adapted from https://cafedelites.com/beef-bean-jalapeno-chili/, image from https://www.saltandlavender.com/crockpot-beef-chili/
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers finely chopped (with seeds)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped or minced (or 2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 2 pounds ground beef mince
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (adjust to your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to your tastes)
- 14 ounces (410 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces (420 g) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounces can kidney beans, drained
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese (grated)
Heat oil in large heavy-based pot (or casserole pot) over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent, then add the red peppers, celery, jalapeños and garlic; sautéing for a further minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up any big chunks with the end of your wooden spoon. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, and salt and mix through until beef is fully coated in the seasonings.
Mix in the crushed tomatoes along with the juices, the tomato sauce (or soup), broth and beans. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer while stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens (about 30 minutes).
Ladle into individual bowls, and top with sour cream, grated cheese, sliced jalapeños, chopped green onions, and/or cilantro.